The Commissioner’s role includes, but is not limited to, the following matters:
- setting the direction, strategy, goals, targets and priorities;
- setting operational parameters, including the annual operating and capital budgets;
- monitoring performance of the Commission and the Master Agent to ensure goals are achieved;
- establishing and maintaining a framework for internal control of the functions of the Commission; and
- reviewing, approving and, where appropriate, revising the Delegated Management Operating Authorities to ensure the empowerment of employees to conduct the Commission’s day to day operations.
The Commissioner is appointed by the Governor of South Australia.
The Commissioner is appointed for a term of office not exceeding five years. On expiration of his or her term, the Commissioner is eligible for reappointment.
The current Commissioner is David Hardy, who was appointed from 23 July 2015.
David commenced employment with SA Lotteries in 2003 and has fulfilled the roles of legal counsel and overseeing the risk management and compliance functions of the organisation.
David holds a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts from the University of Adelaide, and a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the University of South Australia.