Lottery and competition scams can be delivered in person, over the telephone, through the post or by email or SMS. If you are told that you’ve won a lottery or competition and you are not sure that you entered it, hang up the phone, delete the email or message or throw away the letter.
If you have received what you believe may be a lottery scam, please:
- do not reply to the communication;
- do not pay money in advance to collect a prize or lottery winnings;
- do not reveal your full identity;
- do not release your bank account or credit card details; and
- keep your money safe from harm by deleting hoax communications as soon as they are received.
For further information, or to report a scam, please contact:
Telephone: 1300 795 995